資格考(Qualifying Examination) -- 107學年度入學博士班學生適用
- 學生應自『理論課程、系統課程及應用課程』三類課程中通過至少兩類課程共四門科目，該科目成績達 A-(含)以上 者，視為考核通過。
- A student must fulfill the “Professional Coursework Requirement” and pass the “Research Ability Evaluation” to pass the qualifying examination.
- Professional Coursework Requirement
- A student must obtain grades of A- or above in four graduate courses spanning at least two of the three categories “Theory”, “Systems”, and “Applications”
- Any professional courses that were taken in our department within three years prior to admission to the PhD program can be counted.
- Professional Coursework Requirement
Note: The list of eligible courses in each category approved by the academic committee will be posted on the department webpage before the start of each semester.
- Research Ability Evaluation
This is intended to evaluate if a student possesses sufficient ability to carry out academic research. A student is required to submit a research report on the background knowledge of a research topic for evaluation.
- Research Ability Evaluation should be conducted after fulfilling the professional coursework requirement. However, if a student is expected to fulfill the professional coursework requirement in the fifth semester which happens to be a fall semester, then Research Ability Evaluation is also permitted in the fifth semester. In this case, if the student fails to complete the professional coursework requirement at the end of the fifth semester, the student will be dismissed from the school irrespective of the result of Research Ability Evaluation.
- A student must have the first Research Ability Evaluation within the first five semesters (including any leave of absence). If a student fails in the first evaluation, there is one more chance for re-evaluation in a different semester. A student must pass the evaluation within the first seven semesters (including any leave of absence) after admission. Students failing to do so will be dismissed from the school.
- The evaluation is divided into two stages: report review and oral examination.
- Request for Research Ability Evaluation should be made before day 15 of each month to allow sufficient time for the academic committee to hold a meeting in that month to form an evaluation committee. An application form should be submitted together with the research report written in English and signed for approval by the dissertation supervisor. Application can be made during a leave of absence.
- An evaluation committee consists of three professors chosen by the academic committee. The dissertation supervisor may recommend suitable candidate(s) to the academic committee for consideration. Once the evaluation committee is formed, one member is to be elected as the convener by its members.
- Information of the oral exam (date, time, venue) should be announced one week prior to the oral exam and everyone is welcome to attend. People other than the PhD student and the evaluation committee members are not allowed to speak during the exam.
- Oral exam includes a presentation and a Q&A session. Presentation time is limited to 40 minutes, and the expected total exam time is no longer than 2 hours. During the Q&A session, any questions related to the research topic may be asked and are not limited to questions about the given presentation.
- The evaluation committee makes an evaluation based on the research report and the oral exam. The final result is either “Pass” or “Fail”, which is decided by majority vote among the members.
- Deadline: The qualifying examination has to be passed within the first seven semesters (including any leave of absence) after admission. Students failing to do so will be dismissed from the school. However, if delay is caused by some uncontrollable circumstance, extension may be granted upon the approval of the department chair.